The future of learning in Kenya COVID-19
It is now more than 2months since schools closed due to the Corona Pandemic. As for some private schools they have tried online learning ( Note this is not e-learning). Some have used Zoom, Ms Teams etc to stream live videos of teachers teaching.
A number of things they might not have noticed is that, it is damn expensive on parents especially on data since it’s very expensive to upload and download a live video for an hour per lesson to four lessons per day.
Now the tough reality is setting in with the increasing number of positive cases yet we still have the push for the reopening of schools.
- Are parents ready to release their children to a boarding school miles away from home with overcrowded classes and domitories?
- Does the government have resources to construct extra resources in less than 2 weeks so as to re-open schools?
The answer to these questions is a resounding NO.
So what can work.?
I give a case of Kilifi County that has “Zero” infections and how students can go back to schooling in a safe way.
My solution is based on the premise that a county like Kilifi has been referred to as marginalized and has been receiving equalisation funds etc. Equalisation means getting Kilifi to be an equal to a county in the developed Central region as an example.
What does this mean.?
It means that our schools in Kilifi have the basic infrastructure to provide a conducive learning environment.
Now then this is the bitter solution. Every village in Kilifi has a secondary school that is within 5kms radius. Meaning each and every student can access a school within reach. Which means every student can commute to and from school everyday.
Some one said a teacher from the so called remote school is as qualified as the teacher at Alliance. Now that some people will argue that Alliance has better education which is not true. It is the same teachers who teach across the country.
With this in mind then can we
- get students regardless of the school they have been attending move to their near school.
- Teachers within the county register for the schools near the village
- Government gives guidelines on the content to be taught across board
- Standardize fee to be that of a day school
And schooling will continue within each county.
Sounds like a deal?
Can we discuss further to make it better.